You may have tried iMovie on Mac, iPhone, iPad and found it as such an amazing video editing software that can turn your clips into cinema-quality movies or trailers. It is natural that you want to download iMovie for your Windows PC.
Is there iMovie for Windows 10, 8, 7 computers? How to get iMovie for Windows? Find your answer below.
- IMovie is the free video editor application for macOS and iOS. It's created by Apple and used only in its own operating system macOS and iOS. Apple hasn't released any Windows version of iMovie and it has not announced any scheduled plan to develop iMovie for PC. Actually, Apple won't earn money by selling iMovie for Windows.
- IMovie for Windows When it comes to creating a movie, every Apple fan might recommend iMovie. With iMovie for iOS and Mac OS, you can create Hollywood-style trailers as well as stunning 4K-resolution movies quickly and easily. Unfortunately, Apple hasn't released any Windows version of iMovie.
Every Apple fan knows how useful iMovie is when it comes to creating your own videos. The program gives Mac users an easy-to-use yet powerful video maker – and it’s already built into their machine. Unfortunately, Apple developers have not provided a way to download iMovie for Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista.
Can you use iMovie on Windows?
Unfortunately, Apple doesn't offer iMovie for Windows or iMovie online, and it is very likely that there will never be a Windows version of iMovie. Keeping iMovie exclusive to Apple systems can be one of the selling points that drive more users to buy Apple products.
Although there is no iMovie for Windows, it doesn't mean you can't enjoy the functionality of iMovie on Windows PC. There are many iMovie alternatives for Windows, which not only provide video editing features that you can find in iMovie - titles, effects, music, color correction, cutting, transition - but also features that iMovie lacks.
Here you'll learn PawEditor, a great iMovie equivalent for Windows 10, 8, 7, which is as easy-to-use and powerful as iMovie.
iMovie alternative for Windows: PawEditor
Like iMovie, PawEditor is an entry-level video editing software application which is designed to help everyone to create movies, trailers, promotional videos, etc. of professional level.
It is a great iMovie alternative for Windows as every video editing features you like about iMovie can be found on this editor. Even better, it includes some advanced video editing functions that you can't find in iMovie, such as keyframe animation, multiple video/audio track editing, spot removal effect, mirroring effect, vignette video, add subtitles of different styles and more.
Download iMovie alternative for Windows PC.
Upon opening PawEditor, you'll find it shares with iMovie a similar interface, which can be mainly divided into 3 parts: media library, preview window, and timeline. If you are familiar with the operation on iMovie, its Windows alternative should be very easy for you to grasp.
Basic video editing: cut, crop, rotate, resize
You may often use iMovie to cut, crop or rotate video. You can do the same with the iMovie alternative for Windows. PawEditor can cut out the unneeded image from a video,trim a video, rotate a video by 90/180 degrees or less than 90 degrees. More than that, PawEditor can also resize, flip a video.
Add titles & subtitles
iMovie has Hollywood-style title template you can choose from. It comes to handy when you need a title to the video clip you are working on, but it is tricky when you need to create subtitle/closed captions. Its Windows alternative does a better job in adding text to videos. In PawEditor, you can click Text tab to add text of different fonts, sizes, styles, colors in any position you like in the video.
Effects: picture-in-picture, green-screen, fast-forward/slow-motion, stabilization...
PawEditor has more than 25 built-in effects. Effects like picture-in-picture, green-screen, fast-forward, slow-motion, video stabilization, which you can find in iMovie, are also offered in this iMovie alternative for PC. Moreover, PawEditor can let you reverse video, add glow/wiggle effects and more to make your video more creative.
In iMovie, adjusting color is one of the most important steps to create a blockbuster. In PawEditor, the iMovie for Windows offers more than 20 color filters that give your video a different look: nostalgic monochrome, Nordic style, Polaroid, cool-blue, retro styles, etc. They are not just filters of one-click color correction. You can adjust elements, such as saturation, brightness, contrast, 3D lut to change the color of your video clips.
The iMovie equivalent for Windows also has more than 20 transitions that you can add to transfer from one clip to another smoothly. A clip can fade in/out, zoom in/out, skew from the top/middle/bottom, etc.
iMovie can add a soundtrack to a video from its built-in music library, iTunes library, GarageBand recording. PawEditor, the alternative to iMovie on Windows, can add multiple soundtracks to a video. In this way, you can add background music as well as your commentary to the video. Moreover, there are sound effects you can use to improve sounds in a video: you may adjust volume, speed up or slow down audio, apply reverb/balance/echo/remix effects.
Video Quality & formats
Both iMovie and PawEditor can create 1080p high-quality videos at 60 fps. In the iMovie Window equivalent, you can adjust the frame rate, bitrate, aspect ratio of a video before exporting. Unlike iMovie, which automatically turn vertical videos to horizontal, PawEditor provide multiple aspect ratio options: 9:16, 1:1, 4:3, 16:9, 2:1. Videos can be saved in MP4, MOV, GIF and more.
As you can't get iMovie for PC, PawEditor is one of the best alternatives to iMovie for Windows PC. It allows you to edit video and add text, music, effects, transitions, color filters in easy steps as iMovie does on macOS. Have a try of this iMovie equivalent on your PC and you'll be surprised.
- Easy yet powerful movie maker - better than iMovie but for Windows. It's Movavi Video Editor -- a must-have program for editing video in Windows.
- Make stunning slideshows in clicks with photos, video, music and voice over.
- Directly upload to YouTube or save in formats like MP4, MOV, WMV, AVI, etc.
- Enhance your video with professional tools & 300+ built-in FREE elements.
Operating Systems:Windows 10, Windows 8/7/Vista & macOS 10.7 or later
Why You Need An iMovie Alternative for Windows?
iMovie is the free video editor application for macOS and iOS. It's created by Apple and used only in its own operating system macOS and iOS. Apple hasn't released any Windows version of iMovie and it has not announced any scheduled plan to develop iMovie for PC. Actually, Apple won't earn money by selling iMovie for Windows. Instead, iMovie is currently and will only be a Mac/iOS exclusive video editing application. This is one of Apple's strategies to attract more people to buy and use their machines.
So what's the best iMovie alternative to edit videos on a PC? Our recommendation is Movavi Video Editor. Why? Read on...
1. Latest version: 10.1.10 for macOS
2. Official Release Date: Nov 8, 2018
3. What's New: 1) Fully supports 4K resolution movies. 2) Watch anywhere with iMovie Theater. 3) Edit videos easier using iMovie together with MacBook Pro's Touch Bar. 4) Improves stability when updating libraries created with earlier iMovie on Mojave. 5) Remove FB option and adds a Prepare for Facebook
6) more ...
Powerful Video Editing Features Similar to iMovie
Every regular video editing tool is provided in this iMovie alternative for Windows, as well as professional tools like Green/Split Screen, Pan/Zoom, Animation, PiP......
- Split, merge, crop, rotate and enhance your video in clicks.
- Organize your video, audio and titles in tracks of the powerful Timeline.
- Enhance your video with professional tools like Stabilization, Pan/Zoom, Brightness/Contrast, Chroma Key, Color Balance, and more.
- Includes an array of free elements such as 48 free titles, 100+ filters, 100+ dazzling transitions, 100+ stickers, royalty-free music, backgrounds, etc.
Make Awesome Slideshows from Preset Themes
Put your photos, videos and music together into a stunning slideshow that will amaze everyone, using free slideshow themes or not.
- Create slideshow movies using free slideshow themes with preset music, transitions, and free elements for telling family, travel, love and sport stories.
- Every filmmaker will love Movavi's built-in free background music and images. You're also able to import your own music files without limits like in iMovie.
- Choose from various free title templates to tell an interesting story.
- Share slideshow online or continue editing in the advanced editing mode.
Your Movies, Your Ways to Share without Effort
How To Get Imovie On Windows 10
You'll see all possible sharing ways in this movie making software.
- Save video to your Windows PC in any format you want for playing anywhere.
- Upload to YouTube, Facebook and your website without leaving the program.
- Encode video with MPEG-4, H.264, or WMV for better quality but smaller size.
- Burn your videos to DVD/Blu-ray Disc for watching on TV with your home DVD player (Movavi Video Suite required).
- Import video from DV/AVCHD camcorders, TV-tuners, web cameras and VHS and record audio from a microphone (Movavi Video Suite required).
FAQs on iMovie Alternative Video Editing Software
Keep in mind that this is NOT an official iMovie for Windows version made by Apple Inc. It's a universal video editing software for PC, with which you can edit videos on your new or old Windows computer. Below are the FAQs that many visitors have asked whether there are specific features in Movavi Video Editor - the best iMovie for PC alternative in our opinion.
- Is there a Slow Motion effect? -- Sure, over 40 effects including Slow Motion enhance your video instantly.
- Is Picture in Picture possible? -- Yes, simpler than iMovie, you just need to apply Picture in Picture effect to two pictures or two video files and resize them. View details here.
- Can I speed up/fast forward footage? -- Yes, see how to do it here.
- Is there a green screen effect/feature? -- Yes, Besides Green Screen, you also have Blue Screen and Pink Screen. See the tutorial here.
- Can I record Screencasting? -- The single Video Editor doesn't support screencasting, it requires Video Suite to do this and more, like Video Converter, Video Digitizer, Blu-ray Burner, etc.
- Is there movie trailer templates, flight map template? -- No.
- Is it free? -- It's free to try for 7 days (fully functional but outputs with watermark). When expires, you can decide to buy and activate it or uninstall it completely from your computer.
Watch Movie Making Software Video Demo
Easy Steps to Make Movies from Photo, Video and Music
Step 2: Edit Your Video or Make a Slideshow
More iMovie Alternatives for Windows PCs
NCH VideoPad - Classic Video Editor