Vmware Workstation 9 free download - VMware Workstation Player, Tally.ERP 9, Ashampoo UnInstaller 9, and many more programs. VMware Workstation Player (formerly known as Player Pro) is a desktop hypervisor application that delivers local virtualization features and is available for free for personal use. A Commercial License can be applied to enable Workstation Player to run Restricted Virtual Machines created by VMware Workstation Pro and Fusion Pro.
ExpressVPN is widely known as the fastest and most secure VPN in the industry. With over 3,000 servers in 90+ countries, it is capable to unblock all geo-blocked services including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, HBO+, and BBC iPlayer.
ExpressVPN app is available for nearly all the devices including Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, browsers, Firestick, and gaming consoles.
VMware Player is a free desktop application that lets you run a virtual machine on a Windows or Linux PC. Wondering about VMware download for Mac? We’ll cover that later in this post! Before we look at ways to download and install VMware, we’ll cover some basics about virtualization. Because running a virtual machine without knowing what virtualization is a bummer.
- 2 How to install VMware Player on Windows, Linux, and Mac
What is VMWare and Virtual Machines
Virtualization is the process of creating a software-based virtual representation of an existing physical system. It can apply to servers, storage, applications and networks. The result of virtualization is a virtual machine – an isolated software container with its own operating system and application. When you have multiple VMs on a single computer, you can run several operating systems and applications. All you need is a virtual machine. And VMware Player lets you do this. Below are few benefits of virtualization-
1. Running multiple operating systems simultaneously. VirtualBox lets you run more than one OS at a time. You can run software written for one operating system on another. For example, Windows software can be run on Linux or a Mac, without having to reboot.
2. Easier software installations. Software vendors use virtual machines to ship entire software configurations. For example, installing a complete mail server solution on a real machine can be a tedious task. With VirtualBox, such a complex setup can be packed into a virtual machine.
3. Infrastructure consolidation. Virtualization can significantly reduce hardware and electricity costs. Often, computers today only use a fraction of their potential power and run with low average system loads. A lot of hardware resources and electricity are wasted in the process. Instead of running many such physical computers that are only partially used, virtualization helps you pack many virtual machines onto a few powerful hosts and balance the loads between them.
How to install VMware Player on Windows, Linux, and Mac
Before installing, you must first download VMware Player. Follow below steps to download VMware Player –
Download VMware Player
- Head to VMware Download Center.
- Under Desktop & End-user Computing, head to VMware Workstation Player.
- According to your host OS, select the installer from the available list.
- Click Download.
Note you may be prompted to log in to your VMware profile. If you do not have a profile, create one. Visit creating VMware profile for knowing more on creating the profile.
If the download fails, try these –
- Delete cache in the web browser and disable the pop-up blocker in your web browser.
- Retry using a different web browser.
- Firewalls may prevent downloads. Disable any local firewall software.
- Restart your computer and try the download again
How To install VMware Player on Windows
Installing VMware Player on Windows is through a simple installer. For Linux, you have to type a few commands in the prompt.
- Log in to your Windows system
- Head to the folder where VMware Player installer was downloaded. The default location in Windows for downloads is the Downloads folder in the user account. For example:userDownloads
- This step is important. You must run the installer in Admin mode. Right-click on the installer and click Run as Administrator
- Follow the instructions that appear onscreen to finish the installation
- Restart your system. VMware Player should be available ready to use after reboot.
To start VMware Player, head to Start > Programs > VMware Player
How To install VMware Player on Linux
VMware Player is available as a .bundle download from the VMware Download Center for Linux. This bundle starts a GUI wizard or a command-line wizard.
Follow these steps to install VMware on Linux:
- Login to Linux system. Open a terminal. Press Ctrl+Alt+F2 to get a terminal.
- Change to root. To do this, type su root in the terminal.
- (Note: The command su is Linux distribution and configuration specific. If this doesn’t work on your Linux OS, search online for the equivalent command for your distribution)
- Change directory to the directory where VMware Player was downloaded. The default location is Download directory.
- Run the Player installer file using :
sh VMware-Player-e.x.p-xxxx.architecture.bundle –option
Here e.x.p-xxxx is the version and build numbers, architecture is i386 or x86_64 and option is the command line option.
The command line options available are:
–gtk : Opens the GUI-based VMware installer, which is the default option.
–console : Use the terminal for installation.
–custom : Use this option to customize the locations of the installation directories and set the hard limit for the number of open file descriptors.
–regular : Shows installation questions that have not been answered before or are required. This is the default option.
–ignore-errors or -I: Allows the installation to continue even if there is an error in one of the installer scripts. Because the section that has an error does not complete, the component might not be properly configured.
–required: Shows the license agreement only and then proceeds to install Player.
- Accept the license agreement. Then follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
- Reboot system.
You can start VMware Player in Linux using only command line. Run the vmplayer command in a terminal window. For example, type /usr/bin/vmplayer & in the terminal to start VMware Player.
How To install VMware Player on Mac
VMware Player is only available for Windows and Linux, not OS X. You need to purchase VMWare Fusion to install Windows 8 on your Mac.
If you are looking for free software, you can try these options –
This is a free program that allows you to install Windows 8 alongside OS X. You can read more on how to install and download VirtualBox.
2. Apple’s Boot Camp
Apple’s own boot camp software will allow you to install Windows in a separate partition. But, every time you wish to switch to different OS, you have to reboot the system.
VMware is one of the best options available out there for installing different OS on your current host OS. Give this a try and share your experiences in the comments section! A widely used alternative to VMware is VirtualBox. You can read our separate article on VirtualBox vs VMware to understand the differences.
'There is a free player for VMware on Windows, is there a free version as well for mac? If not, any other free alternatives?'
VMware Workstation Player, also known as VMware Player is a free desktop virtualization software package used for simultaneously running several operating systems for 64-bit computers having Microsoft Windows or Linux. VMware Inc. offers it free of cost. You can enjoy the benefits of preconfigured products without much hassle. VMware player is available for free for personal non-commercial use for Windows but whether such a VMware Player for Mac is available for free download, that is the question.
Part 1: Is There A VMware Workstation Player for Mac OS X?
There is no free version of VMware Workstation Player for Mac OS X. Neither the GNU/Linux version nor the version from BSD Ports will work.
Mac is not a cost-effective platform for running VMware player, thus its free trial is not provided.
VMware sells a Mac version of their product called VMware Fusion. You may use that for a trial period of 30 days. After that, if you do not want to purchase VMware Fusion, there are other alternatives too available in the market.
Either you can use Boot Camp to some other OS or use it to run VMware player on a different OS.
Even if you do not get VMware for Mac free, do not worry, we will help you to choose among the various alternatives which will just serve the purpose right. Given below is a detailed note about the alternatives. Read on to find out:
Part 2: Top 5 Alternatives to VMware Workstation Player for Mac
Given below are 5 popular alternatives to VMware Workstation Player. You do not need to download VMware for Mac, instead, check the below options:
Vmware Player For Mac Os X Free Download
Oracle VM VirtualBox is a free and open source software emulator published by Oracle-it is a Intel64 virtualization product for enterprise as well as home use. It is a 'virtualization software' which means you can run multiple virtual machines, with different operating systems on the same computer. VirtualBox may be installed on a number of host operating systems like Windows, Linux, Solaris and even Mac OS. VirtualBox has an ever increasing list of features with each new release and supports multiple guest operating systems and platforms it runs on. On May 2018, the latest version of VirtualBox 5.2.12 has been made available for download. It comes with improved stability features and fixes regression.
Download link: https://www.virtualbox.org
2. VMware Fusion
VMware Fusion is a virtual machine monitor developed by VMware for Macintosh computers. VMware Fusion helps to turn your Mac computers compatible to run any Windows like applications like Internet Explorer or Microsoft Office. It is one of the best commercial virtualization app. Running Windows on Mac is only the beginning. Fusion makes it very easy to test nearly any OS and app on a Mac. VMware workstation for Mac is not present but this product is just what you will need. It has features in between that of VirtualBox and Parallels, though early setup can be a long process.
Download link: https://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/fusion-evaluation.html
3. Parallels Desktop
Parallels Desktop for Mac, by Parallels, is software providing virtual versions for Macintosh computers and operating systems specially designed for home users who want to use Windows on their Mac without getting another computer. Parallels Desktop gives Mac users the ability to run Windows at the same time as Mac OS X. Whether it is teams, professionals or IT managers, Parallels Desktop is an easy tool for all. There is a specialized Parallels toolbox with over 30 one touch services like clean your drive, secure private files etc.
Download link: https://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/
4. QEMU (Quick Emulator)
QEMU is a generic and open source full system emulator. As a machine emulator, QEMU can help run programs for one machine on a different machine. Though QEMU's main host platform is Linux, it also supports operating systems for Apple's Mac computers. Using QEMU you can run operating systems for any machine with any supported architecture. As QEMU is an open source program, the coding is constantly updated and improved as technical needs evolve. The latest QEMU version available in the market is 2.12.0 updated last in April, 2018.
Download link: https://www.qemu.org/download/
JPC is an x86 PC emulator written in pure Java that is why it seamlessly works on all major computing platforms, including Windows, Linux and Mac OS. It runs as an applet with an integrated debugger. JPC creates a virtual computer using which you can install your favorite operating system in a safe and flexible way. It provides basic IDE and VGA emulation. Also JPC has multilayered security which ensures it is the safest solution you would like to choose.
Download link: http://jpc.sourceforge.net/home_home.html
Vmware Player Mac Download Free Download
So the bottom line stands, that even though VMware workstation Mac OS does not exist for free, you have several other virtual software packages in the market which will help you achieve the same kind of goal. Choose from above what suits you best. Last but not least, if you install Windows system on Mac computer, create a login password for Windows but can't remember it, you can use PassFab 4WinKey as it is an easy and comprehensive solution to recover lost or forgotten passwords for any Windows login account.